Join the London Walk of Hope - a sponsored walk with a difference
You're invited to take part in a sponsored walk with a difference this summer! Our London Walk of Hope, taking place on 2 July 2022, will be a chance to step back in time and explore some of London's ancient leprosy sites.
Did you know that between 1100 and 1350 there were at least three hundred hospitals across England that were set up to treat those affected by leprosy? Eight of these were located in the capital and were arranged in a ring just outside the city, in modern day central London. On the Walk of Hope, we'll learn more about their history together while raising money to help those the disease still affects today.
Our 5km (3 mile) adventure will begin at St Paul's Cathedral at 10am and finish at St. James’s Palace. We expect this to be a leisurely walk lasting around two hours but you can join us for just a shorter section of the walk if you prefer.
We're hoping for a fine day so we can enjoy a picnic together in St James’s Park after the walk so please bring your lunch and a lightweight blanket with you.
As we walk together, we’d love to make a difference for people affected by leprosy who so often find walking a challenge. The Walk of Hope is a great opportunity to ask friends and family to sponsor you and bring real and lasting change to people's lives.
- A pair of orthopaedic sandals costs just £10 and protects feet from developing wounds and ulcers. These often lead to lasting disabilities and discrimination.
- £100 will provide ten people affected by leprosy with protective sandals enabling them to walk safely.
- Why not challenge yourself to raise £700, which could equip a person affected by leprosy with a prosthetic leg, so that they can walk again?
To take part in this exciting event, please follow this link to complete our online registration form by 31 May.
There are two ways you can collect sponsorship:
- Set up a sponsorship page using our Virtual Collection Box
- Or download and print out a paper sponsorship form
All are welcome to take part and you can even bring along your four-legged friends too. Please note that children under 12 are welcome to join the walk but must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Unaccompanied young people under 16 must have written permission to take part from a parent or guardian.
We'd love you to join us and help end leprosy, one step at a time!