The Leprosy Mission England, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man is part of a global fellowship committed to supporting leprosy-affected people around the globe. It is registered as a charity in England and Wales (1050327) and is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (3140437).
We are committed to respecting your privacy and ensuring that the personal data you have entrusted to us is collected and processed in accordance with the UK General Data Protection Regulation, the EU Law version of General Data Protection Regulation (EU 216/679) (UK GDPR), and the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018), together referred to as the Data Protection Law. These regulations are intended to strengthen your rights and to give you control over the personal information that organisations hold about you.
We welcome any feedback on any of our actions. If you’d like to learn more about our Data Protection and Privacy Policies or get further clarification, please contact us:
Data Protection Officer
The Leprosy Mission
Telephone 01733 370505
What we use your information for:
We, The Leprosy Mission England, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, will use the information you provide in the following ways.
We will send you information about our work, which you are making possible through your gifts and prayers, and communicate with you in the way you prefer. We want to make sure we are sending you information that you are interested in.
We will make you aware of the further needs of leprosy-affected people, giving you the opportunity to pray or make a donation. We appreciate that not every person can give to every appeal. We will look at information about how you like to support our work to make sure we are sending you relevant information in the manner authorised by you.
We will invite you to events that you may be interested in attending. We will look at the information we hold about you to make sure that you are invited to events that may appeal to you and are within a reasonable travelling distance.
We may send you information about other ways you can help people affected by leprosy, such as becoming a volunteer.
We will send you information you have asked for, or provide you with the goods or services you have requested.
We will also use the information you give us to process any donations you make and to thank you, and to claim tax on Gift Aid.
When you visit our website we will gather information about which pages you visit to help us to improve and to provide you with the best service.
We will use your information to manage and co-ordinate our volunteers if you support us in this way.
You have the right to change your mailing preferences or to ask us not to contact you again (unsubscribe). You can do this by managing your communication preferences online or contacting us using the following details:
Data Protection Officer
The Leprosy Mission
Telephone 01733 370505
How we collect personal data
We will collect information in the following ways.
When you share information with us
When you communicate with us and provide information (for example, when you make a donation, buy some goods, or sign-up to emails) and authorise us to store your information, we will collect this so that we can communicate with you in future. We won’t go looking for personal information, such as your personal telephone number, if you haven’t provided this to us.
When you visit our website
- When you sign up to join and become a volunteer
- When you request resources to share about our work with your church or group
- When you complete a survey and authorise us to contact you using the information provided
- When you apply for a job with The Leprosy Mission
- When you register to attend one of our events
- When you sign up to support a petition to advocate and speak up for leprosy-affected people
When you share information with us through a third party
- If you make a donation through your church and provide your personal information (e.g. your name and address) for the purpose of being contacted, we will collect this so that we can thank you personally and send you further information and appeals that are related to the cause and where you authorise us to contact you in this manner .
- If you make a donation through a third-party website (such as JustGiving) and have given them permission to share your details with us so that we can contact you in the future, we will collect these to thank you and send you further information and appeals.
From time to time we may compare the data we hold to nationally-held registers which provide information about when people are deceased or have moved home. It’s important to keep the information we hold accurate and up to date and this helps to ensure we don’t waste money sending information to people who have moved away.
We may ask you to confirm your details from time to time so that we can accurately update our records and ensure that the data being held is accurate and relevant.
The personal information we collect
We may ask you for certain pieces of information to ensure we communicate with you in an appropriate way and only send you relevant information about our work. This includes:
- Personal identifiers such as your title, name and year of birth to verify that you are 18 years or over and also to take appropriate care when engaging with potentially more vulnerable supporters
- Contact details including postal address, postcode, email and telephone number
- Financial information such as your bank details: e.g. if you support us through monthly giving
- Whether you are a UK tax payer
- The church or event location where you may have registered your interest in our work
- Records of your contact with us
- Your interests, views and opinions in surveys to ensure that we are providing the most appropriate types of information for you
- When you have given permission for your information to be viewed publicly depending on your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services such as LinkedIn
Sensitive personal data
Data Protection regulations recognise some information as ‘sensitive personal data’ or ‘special category data’. This includes, but is not limited to, information which reveals your health issues, race or ethnic origin or your religious beliefs.
The Leprosy Mission is a Christ-centred organisation, demonstrating the compassion and love of Jesus to all those it serves. We may collect details about your church affiliation or personal faith in order to provide you with appropriate information but your personal data would never be disclosed outside the organisation to a third party without your consent.
We also receive prayer requests and the information may contain sensitive personal data. As The Leprosy Mission family we share and pray for these needs at our daily prayers and will handle that information with respect and confidentiality.
When you share personal information with us we will check that you are happy for us to hold this information and we will keep it confidential, ensuring that we process and treat such sensitive personal data with the greatest of care and in accordance with the current Data Protection regulations.
Who we share your information with
The Leprosy Mission England and Wales is part of The Leprosy Mission International, (which has a wholly owned subsidiary, The Leprosy Mission Trading Ltd,) a fellowship of 28 countries. We will not share personal information outside of that group of organisations. We are committed to ensuring that our overseas partners have adequate levels of data protection safeguards when processing your personal information and we will only allow data to be processed outside of the UK and European Economic Area (EEA) if those safeguards are in place.
We sometimes use other companies to help us, for example, to mail out a newsletter, but we only provide these companies with enough information so they can do this piece of work, and we have a legally binding contract or similar safeguards in place with them.
We promise to make all reasonable efforts to keep your details secure and will only share them with companies working on our behalf. Except as required by law we will never share your details with other organisations to use for their own purposes.
We love to keep you supporters updated on how you are helping leprosy-affected people regain health and dignity. The lawful basis for our processing of your data is called ‘legitimate interest’ – it means that you have shown your support for our work and it is reasonable for us to think you will wish to hear more and continue to support the cause we are working for.
We will ask you for your permission to contact you by email for marketing purposes. We will never contact you if you have not given us permission to contact you by email.
We may contact you by telephone to thank you and update you on the vital work we are doing or to ask for your support if you have given us the permission to contact you for this. We do not make cold marketing calls to people and ask them to support the cause. If your number is registered with Telephone Preference Service we will only make calls to you if you have expressly given us permission to do so.
We send information about our work by mail, unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information by post.
We will only send you communications you would reasonably expect or have agreed to. If you wish to change the way you hear from us, or what we send you, or if you do not wish to receive any further communications from us, we request that you immediately contact our Supporter Relations team on 01733 370505 or by emailing post@TLMEW.org.uk
Your information rights and choices
Data regulations give you the right:
- To request in writing, and securely obtain copies of, the personal information we hold about you
- To have us correct or update your personal information that we process
- To request that we stop using your personal information for marketing purposes or for any other purpose unless we are under a legal obligation to process your data or where the processing is required by law
- To know about the cookies The Leprosy Mission uses, so that you can decide whether to give us permission to store a cookie on your device. Please see the Cookies section for more information
- To know who we share your data with and the purpose why we share it.
- To know how we process your personal information.
- You have a right to request us to provide your data in a structured, commonly used, machine readable format to another company where technically feasible
Please note that we do not subject your data to automated decision making. Please do contact us if you ever wish to raise a concern about The Leprosy Mission’s handling of your personal information or feedback to us anything that you think we have done well.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office about how we manage your data.
As noted above, you are free to unsubscribe at any time.
Please visit our cookies section to find out more.
Credit or debit card donations
In order to make a donation online, you will need to give us certain personal information. Our website uses a secure SSL connection to encrypt and process your card details and we will need certain personal information: name, email address, telephone number, address, credit card type, number, expiry date and CVV value. We store your contact details in our customer database, but we do not store your full credit card details nor share our supporter details with any third parties.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We will review this privacy notice regularly and may update it at any time if there are changes in the law or how we operate. If there are any significant changes in the way we process your personal information, we will send you a notification and provide a prominent notice on our website.